Monday, October 26, 2009

Crazy Busy Weekend

Ok, so maybe this is just me, but lately my weekends have stopped functioning as weekends and started to behave dangerously like weekdays. No more of those lazy Saturdays, watching TV all day as I filed my nails, ate peanut butter sandwiches, and just generally putzed around. No more beautiful Sundays with naught to do but go to Mass and watch football with a little bit of homework in the evening. Nope. Those days are long gone, and in their absence, insane business reigns supreme!!! Here is what this past weekend looked like for me:

Friday:
5:00 Bible study. I elaborated on the "True Love" study and printed extra copies. It rains and pours and the commons room where we usually meet is closed for a fancy reception. I try to sit by the door that people usually come into but to no avail. No one shows except for one friend of mine. We end up having delightful conversation for an hour anyway.

6:00 Ballroom dance class! The instructor talks for about 40 minutes of the 2 hour class. We do a foxtrot mixer, then a polka mixer, and then we all dance the salsa holding hands in a huge circle. Weird.

8:15 I meet a friend for Indian food (the first time I've had any since last year!) We are hopelessly confused by the menu and end up ordering a combo meal to share. It is more than enough food for both of us. And we have lots of good conversation.

9:30 Start the commute home. Always a pleasure. Not.

Saturday:
11:00 Get a text message from best friend sent at midnight the night before. She is in town this weekend!!!! We make plans via lots of text messages.

12:00 Aforementioned friend picks me up. My hair is still wet due to close proximity of her arrival to my stepping out of the shower. We shop. And talk. A lot.

2:15 I return home. Tidy office space, go through paper stacks while watching online shows at abc.com.

5:00 Make some attempt at cleaning my room so I can leave for Oakland!! Find long-lost favorite locket under my bed. Sweet! Pack an overnight bag.

6:30 Mooch ride off of father to Washington Junction. Catch the 47L. Finish commute into Oakland, ect.

7:45 Arrive at friend's adorable little house. Scarf down dinner of pasta and delicious homemade sauce courtesy of her house-mate. Rush to Steven Foster Memorial!!

8:02 Arrive at the theater. Rush down to redeem comp tickets from work-study. Rush back upstairs to be seated right before the lights go down for DRACULA!!! The costumes look amazing. I feel like a proud mother. :)

10:30 Return to little house for evening of more dinner, tasty desserts and LOTR. Except that we both fall asleep after about half an hour.

Sunday:
8:30 Wake up. Breakfast etc.

9:30 Leave for home. Slow service due to Sunday schedule causes me to wait for almost half an hour for my bus and then again for trolley. Pass the time chatting to one of my lovely sisters on the cellie.

11:00 Waltz into my 3rd grade CCD class late. Luckily my team teacher has got me covered: we both planned lessons for this class! Neither of us planned enough so we combine forces. The result is the best CCD class ever!! We need to work together more often. Lesson for today: the Eucharist. siiiighhhhh.... my favorite thing in the world... Quick review question: What makes the Catholic Church different from every other church in the world? The Eucharist and the Blessed Mother! Never ever let anyone tear you away from these two things!!!

12:30 Return home with family from the church. Check email, get directions, make Mom a card for her birthday.

2:30 Leave for Gemini Theater Company. I have the mini van! woot woot! No public transportation this time! I am going to see "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" in order to finish a writing project I've been working on about the company. Only get lost once and realize right away. Minimal time lost.

3:10 Arrive late. Have to squeeze past a little family of French children who are so engrossed in the performance that their mothers have to pick them up for me to pass. Feel horrible. Endure an hour or so of very mediocre singing and acting.

4:15 Leave the theater for Oakland. Park in St. Paul's parking lot. Mosy over to Camille's for a strawberry smoothie.

5:00 Commence fasting for 6:00 Mass. Spend the time making a holy hour in front of the Tabernacle, which we discussed in great length in class this morning. How beautiful...

6:00 Mass! <3

7:00 Catholic Underground. Good food, good fellowship, good discussion about holiness. Did you know that because "all life, all holiness comes from You [God]," the extent to which we are holy is the extent to which we allow Christ to rule our hearts and the extent to which we imitate Him? Just some food for thought. :)

10:00 Return home after putting 5 dollars of my own money into the gas tank. There is a first time for everything...

Monday:
7:30 alarm goes off. Lie in bed wishing I didn't have to get up. What happened to the weekend?

8:15 get out of bed after almost punching my alarm clock when it went off for the 10th time.

And here I am. This weekend would have filled any extrovert up with joy and energy, but I just feel exhausted and worn down. Boo.
Well, I'm going to Mass now. If anyone can lift my dragging spirits, He can.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! I wish my weekends were that fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such is the seven-day week of the college student. I nearly forgot I have to send some emails today because most other people's weeks are five days, and if I wait any longer, nothing will happen until Monday.

    ReplyDelete