Saturday, December 5, 2009

End of the Semester Blues

I haven't written in.... well, a very long time. Obviously. I can't really think of good reason why not. I think I just forgot I had a blog for a while. Plus, as usual, things have been super busy.
I always say that when people ask me, "How've you been?" or "How are things going?" "Busy," is always the reply because it's always true. I'm just putting the finishing touches on my schedule for next semester (one of the classes I added was canceled and I had to find a replacement) so I'm feeling introspective about this topic.

Every time I make a schedule of classes (I've made about 7 now counting high school and the past three semesters) I feel optimistic about the coming year/semester. I get excited. I think, "This semester will be different. This year I will be able to concentrate on my classes the way I've always wanted to, without interruptions. This semester I will enjoy my classes; they all look so interesting! I sincerely want to learn about what each of them has to offer. These classes will make up a big part of my life in the near future."
But that's never the way it happens. Life keeps on going regardless of my class schedule. And no matter how optimistic I am at the beginning, there will always be unexpected deaths in the family, sick days (or weeks, in my case), a friend who needs you to be there even though you have a lot to do. And I will probably get behind and be outrageously stressed out about the very classes I was so looking forward to only a few months before.
It's a hard pill for my idealistic self to swallow. This whole time-management thing so rarely works out the way I want it to. Sometimes I wonder if I really am that busy or if I just... feel that way. I mean, maybe I just can't deal with life's normal ups and downs like most people can. If this is about learning my limitations as a student and as a person, then it's a very humbling experience.
The truth of the matter is, most days I would be perfectly happy to hole myself up in my little office room all day and chill out. I don't mind being alone. But most days that's not really an option, so I keep pulling myself out of bed and going out to fight the good fight. I do want to get a good education. I really do want to learn. It's just the day-to-day grind that sometimes gets me down.
Sorry for the defeated tone of this post. I've just been feeling a bit melancholy lately, I guess. Make-up work always does this to me, and finals are looming on the not-so-distant horizon. Perhaps I should be stronger and try to pull through it with a smile on my face, but you can only smile for so long before your cheeks hurt.

3 comments:

  1. Cheer up! I always feel that, even though the day to day stuff just tires me out, with each new semester comes new experiences! Yes, they tire you out, but at least it's not the same old thing, day after day, right?

    Also, I find that, if you can make time for one thing that you really love to do, it really, really helps. For me, it's swing dancing. This semester I have all my classes on Monday-Wednesday-Friday, and I'm pretty defeated by the end, But the fact that I can go swing dancing on Monday and Wednesday nights really does give me a boost.

    I dunno. It's a thought. Whatever happens, I hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all have this. I always try to learn in my classes, and then I end up just trying to pass. I know I know more than I did before, but not as much as I wanted to. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words here exemplify the life of just about every college student I know. I feel your pain.

    cansope - a can of soap?

    ReplyDelete