Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ellen

So, lately people have been telling me that I look like Ellen DeGeneres.
It all started with the workers at the grill in Cathedral Cafe. "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Ellen Degeneres?" he asked me. "Well, no, actually. But I can see how you would think that." "Hey, everyone look over here! Who does this girl remind you of?" "Hmmm let me see... Ellen! Ellen DeGeneres!" "Yeah!" At this point, noticing my slight discomfort with the situation, the guy who originally caused the scene turned to me and said "Don't worry, it's a compliment. Be sure to come back sometime!" I smiled as I hurridly grabbed my chicken quesadillas and scooted out of there. Yes, I was blushing. I always blush when I'm the center of attention. Can't help it!
I got down to the costume shop to eat my lunch and then get some work done, and what do you know, my boss also commented on my semblance to Ellen! She said that something about the way my hair was flipped up made me look like her.
So, I was ready to forget all this when today, as I was ordering at the grill (quesadillas again, vegetable this time), another worker, who clearly hadn't been there the day of the great hullabaloo about an Ellen lookalike, also noticed me as I waited for my dish to be served up. "This girl looks like Ellen DeGeneres!" "Yep, I know it." "She's a real cutiepie!" Although I must admit that a very ego-centric part of my mind was flattered by the conversation, I was nervous about a repeat of the previous semester's performance and hoped that my food would be ready soon. Luckily for me, not another word was said on the subject, and I was able to check out in peace.
But now I have to wonder: what gives?? Do I seriously look so remarkably much like Ellen that people feel the need to comment? I'm not dissing the cafe people - I know they meant absolutely no harm - but do I really look like her? I mean, I've never seen the show, but of course I know what she looks like. Maybe it's because I'm finally growing my hair out a bit, or maybe it's the way I wore my eye makeup on those two occasions. Whatever the reason, I'm not sure how I feel about this recent developement. Perhaps you, my dear readers, can shed some light on the topic. Do you think I look like Ellen? If so, why? What resemblance do you see?

1 comment:

  1. Huh. I'll have to actually pay attention, because I don't think I see much of a resemblance.

    But apparently it's there if that many people are independently making that same comment... or it was just "Fool Jane Week." Yeah, that's it...

    ReplyDelete