Saturday, August 8, 2009

Little Bird, Journals, Milestones

It was such a short while ago that I wrote about my little bird, Elliot, and what a ray of sunshine she was to the family and to Jack. Unfortunately, little Elli had a fatal encounter with a ceiling fan a few days ago. She went into shock, then she fell asleep and didn't wake up. We are burying her today.
I am surprisingly heartbroken over this. I am more upset that I was over any other pet death. Ever. I suppose it's because I took such care with her training and because she was so lovable. What hurts the most is how short the time was between her taming and her death. The lifespan of a parakeet, if all goes well (i.e. no sicknesses or accidents), is 12 - 16 years! I was so looking forward to that time with her.
I talked to my spiritual director about it yesterday: do pets go to heaven? On one hand, they don't have souls, or at least, proper souls like humans do, so they don't really fit into the beatific vision of heaven. Yet there will be no pain of loss or separation in heaven, and animals were placed on earth for the enjoyment and use of humans, so maybe they will be there to please us further once we cross over. Our final decision: we don't know! It helped just to talk it out, though.

Yesterday also marked the beginning of shopping-for-school-supplies season, as Mom took a few of us to Office Depot to pick out our planners. I got another huge calender. They really are the best for organizing. But more excitingly, there was a cart full of clearance stuff by the door (everything inside $1!!) and what should be lying in the cart but stacks and stacks of beautiful leather and suede journals!!!!! I almost passed out, I was so happy. I have a rather severe journal fetish. I bought 5 of them for $5.35. You just can't beat that. Plus, now I am good to go for at least 2 years, probably more.

Also of note is that this post is #60 for me! Hooray! Also, August 23 is "Thoughts Along the Way"'s 1 year anniversary! I can't believe it! It seems only weeks ago that I was posting about my epic encounter with veggie hummus. Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, Janie! I'm sorry that your bird died :( If there is anything I can do, let me know.

    I'm sure going back to school will help, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concept of animals in heaven has perplexed many for centuries. I relate a short experience from grade school.

    I went to a Catholic grade school and the sisters assured us that no animals would be in heaven , for they have no soul.

    One "perfect" little girl said, "But I want Puffy (her pet) in heaven!

    Sister stated that Puffy would not be there.

    A few days later, Sister was trying to describe heaven to our class. "Heaven is everything you love all in one place. If you love ice cream, it'll be there. If you love popcorn, it'll be there..."

    At this point the "perfect" little girl broke in and said, "I want Puffy to be there!!"

    Sister was speechless!!!!

    But from that day forward, I knew that animals can go to heaven because God wants our joy to be complete.

    As stated in the blog, there is no theological or religious teaching confirming this. But sometimes, it is not necessary.

    Blad the Rad

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your bird! What a tragic and sudden loss!

    Congratulations on your milestones, though!

    ReplyDelete