Thursday, July 8, 2010

Africa: First Impressions

Hello from Ghana!!
I am pleased to announce that we made it here with no trouble; no one lost their baggage or got sick or got stopped at customs.  I am surprised how much I love it here already.  I can't really explain to you what happened in my heart when I stepped out of the airplane, but I feel like I am home.  Praise God; He knew all along how well and how quickly I would find a place here, even when I had my doubts during preparation.
Things of Note:
- Although the weather is not much hotter now than the weather in Pittsburgh, there is no air conditioning.  So I'm just getting used to being a little sweaty.  No biggie.  Everyone kind of is.
- The showers in the guesthouse are cool.  Surprising at first, but quite refreshing once I got used to it.
- When I got out of the shower and put on clean clothes, they felt like they had just been fluffed in the dryer. 
- I have not slept more than 5 or 6 hours in the past 48 hours, and all in little 1- and 2-hour pieces.  The night before we left I could not sleep for nerves and excitement, and trying to sleep in the plane was like living purgatory on Earth.  Very uncomfortable.  The plane ride was a little over 10 hours long, and I only got up once.  But I watched 2 1/2 movies.  Yay for individual seat back televisions.
- When I got off the plane I pulled out my camera to take pictures of the airport.  (I know, very touristy haha)  My lens was jammed.  I just paid $115 to repair the lens.  So now I have no camera.  I am not sure how I feel about this.  On one hand, I would like to have some pictures, but on the other hand I hate taking them.  So.  I just keep saying "Jesus, I trust in You" over and over.  And I may be looking for a cheap camera here in Accra.
- My first Ghanian meal was breakfast: 2 slices of white bread, each about 3/4 inches thick, toasted and cut diagonally, with butter, marmalade, and hot tea.  That's all.

I will not pretend that I am not tempted to feel anxious about many things, especially after waking up disoriented from a nap this afternoon.  But any fears I may have are calmed by the thought of going to Mass tonight after dinner.  How I love the Eucharist!  And He is the same everywhere.

2 comments:

  1. what a wonderful surprise! i didn't know that you would be able to update while you were there! <3 i love you. i'm so glad you're safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jane,

    Glad to hear you had such a positive feeling getting off the plane. That says a lot, and will help you overcome obstacles.
    Very funny tanning stories, Jane!
    Well, we miss you and pray for you daily. I haven't baked that pie yet but may still.
    God continue to provide all for you.
    LYM,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete