Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Oh, the First Snowfall of the Winter

"Oh the first snowfall of the winter
Was a day that we all waited for
When it drifted to and fro
Why you should've seen the snow
It was near seven feet or more
By the old barn door

Oh the first snowfall of the winter
What a joy for a boy to behold
In each house you'll find a sleigh
That was waiting for this day
And of course, down the road a hill
For each jack and jill

Every winter breeze that scurries
Sets the snowflakes up in flurries
It's the good old sentimental season when
Folks put runners on their surreys
And forget about their worries
When a man becomes a boy once again

Oh the first snowfall of the winter
Jingle bells bring us spells ever dear
Under wintry skies of gray
It was snowing all the day
And it showed no signs of stopping
Every kid with eyes of popping
Will soon be belly-whopping on his ear

Oh the first snowfall of the winter
Oh the first snowfall of the year
The first snow of the year
Is just about the best snow
Well I'll say any snow
Is a pretty good show"

This Carpenter's song has been stuck in my head ALL DAY! And why? Because it snowed for the first time this winter!!! :O
Though it is a bit early for snow, the first snowfall of the winter is nevertheless a major cause for excitement, especially when the flakes falling from the sky are so big and lovely as they were today.
Picture this:
I am sitting in my writing class, discussing elusive sensibilities like "bro" and "dude" and even "Jew," when suddenly outside the window there appear tiny flurries of snow. Baby snow. I try to suppress my excitement at this new development so as not to burst out in the middle of class discussion with a totally irrelevant "It's snowing!!!!"
After class I hurry to the Cathedral Cafe for a hot caramel apple cider; if I'm going to make it over to the Newman Center alive, I'm going to need something to keep my hands warm on the way and to warm my belly once I get there.
Thus I find myself pressing a steaming, fragrant cup of hot cider between my palms (with traveler lid, of course, to prevent spillage) as I make my way through increasingly picturesque snowfall toward my favorite spot on campus.
Isn't life wonderful??
The snow hasn't stuck, which is probably for the best, because now we have all reaped the benefits of a beautiful snow without having to deal with the grossness of slush. Ew! Slush is so February. So far nothing has frozen over, either, and the last time I checked it was a not-too-cold 40 degrees outside. I have a feeling that winter in the city isn't always going to be this nice, so I'm enjoying it while I can.
Now, if you'll excuse me, there is a paper that I am supposed to be writing as well as three journal entries for my Italian class. Yes, I must write it all in Italian. We're supposed to pretend that we are keeping a journal during a visit to Italy (HA I wish) highlighting our sightseeing and shopping and eating, thus encompassing all of the vocab from this unit. How convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment