Monday, January 4, 2010

Things of Beauty

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever."
- Mary Poppins

How true, how true indeed. Lately I realized that I have been surrounding myself with beautiful things for quite some time now, and they continue to bring me joy every time I use them or see them. Here are a few that I've been enjoying very much this holiday:

Making Gingerbread

This year I have developed a great appreciation for the taste of fresh gingerbread and so decided to make a batch of my own. The molasses and spices laid out on the table with the cookbook and citrus and my sister's homemade bread made for quite a picturesque little scene. I really should have taken a picture of the finished cookies; they were beyond adorable. My aunt even kept two to use as decoration in her house!
I do so enjoy cooking in our kitchen. There's nothing like dancing around to some good music while whisking together something tasty.



My Amaryllis

While I was out Christmas shopping one day, I came across a boxed bulb with a beautiful picture on the front and the words "Indoor Amaryllis" across the top. It was a complete kit including a pot, some peat mixture, and the bulb itself. I didn't buy it right away, but I thought about it so much that a few days later I came back and picked it up. I planted it as soon as I got home, and every few days I check its progress. It is absolutely thrilling for me to watch the sprout grow little by little, even in the dead of wintertime. In time, it should end up looking something like the picture to the right. It is a "Cinderella" amaryllis. As soon as it blooms I'm going to take it upstairs (right now it's on the porch where there's more sun) and put it on the shelf by my desk, where it can cheer me through my long winter course load.
Apparently it's possible to replant these bulbs every winter with the right care, and I am getting so much joy out of this little plant that I'm sure I will try it come fall.
In fact, I am so pleased with amaryllises (is that a word?) in general that I have a blown up picture of two gorgeous red blossoms as my background on my mini laptop.


Fabric and Feathers

I am generally a fan of unconventional jewelry. Bits of fabric, buttons, feathers, and lace all seem to me to be such delicate and classy touches. Actually I've had an absolute obsession with lace lately. I want to sew it onto everything! But that is beside the point.
I have been longing for a pair of peacock feather earrings for goodness knows how long, and finally, my wish came true this Christmas. Never mind that "Santa" got them at a Halloween store in the 70s section. I think they're beautiful! :) I am quite at a loss as to where to wear them, though. Perhaps for the first day of school on Wednesday...
Also worth mentioning is that my dear friend has opened an etsy shop called "Peculiar Jewelry" where he makes exquisite pieces out of fine fabric scraps, feathers, and beads. I browsed through it yesterday and wished I could have bought everything in it! Hopefully he'll be posting more items soon! Here is the link: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Flanowa and here are a couple of my favorite pieces from the shop!


Do check it out!!


Well, that just about wraps it up. First multimedia post ever! How exciting. Except that pictures are a pain in the rump to upload. Oh well. I think they brighten the post considerably.

2 comments:

  1. Once you get used to uploading pictures and their eccentricities, it's not bad.

    Word to the wise: It's usually much better to add the photos after you've written your whole post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pictures. They are a nice touch. Your little bulb has already gotten so big! I can't believe you took a picture of your peacock earrings. Holy moly. What a ninny. And I hope your friend is paying you for your advertisement. ;)

    ReplyDelete