Thursday, January 7, 2010

Working Wireless???

I spent the last few days of last semester and the first few of this semester fighting a losing battle with Pitt's wireless internet. The whole reason I got the thing was so I would be able to avoid the computer labs and set up camp anywhere, in addition to the fact that I wanted to be able to word process while commuting.
This lil' baby of a laptop doesn't have a CD drive, though, so I couldn't just pop the CD in and let it go. I asked the software distribution desk and they said I might be able to borrow an external drive from the technology help desk, but when I called the help desk the guy insisted that it would be easier to set it up manually.
So, last night instead of studying (yes, I studied on the first day of school: I'm taking this "good student" bit seriously!) I had to take the time to download VeriSign something from Pitt's website and then go through numerous steps which I don't even remember to list here just so I could connect to the internet on campus. AND I still never got an external drive, so I still was unable to upload Microsoft Office, so I still can't word process while commuting unless I download Open Office from the internet which is a sucky word processor that's not compatible with anything. How frustrating.
But, lo and behold, today when I pulled little laptop out of its protective sleeve and swung the top into place, I was finally able to go online while on campus with just a few clicks of "ok" buttons and the entering of my username and password. And now I am blogging to commemorate this momentous occasion. That's all. :)

2 comments:

  1. Setting it up manually is indeed far better than using the built-in software on the PittNet CD. My friend who worked for CSSD helped get me set up and I never had a problem connecting to the network thereafter, whereas the Aegis client had always locked up upon the computer going idle.

    If you'd like to print to a lab wirelessly, I highly recommend my friend's software available at printing.thesck.com. It predates the official software and it prints directly to the regular printers without you having to swipe your card when you get to a lab and wait more. They should just be waiting for you when you get there. (But remember to pick them up!) It worked wonders when I had a report due one day when I was in Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tim: i installed the wireless printing software you suggested and it rocks!! so convenient!! i highly recommend it to anyone with a laptop (at pitt, of course)

    ReplyDelete