Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hummus

This is war. Hummus and I have had it.
For those of you who don't know what hummus is, it's basically mashed chickpeas mixed with some kind of spice or flavoring. There are lots of different kinds and the taste experience when paired with a crunchy cracker or soft pita bread is positively matchless. I loved it ...until today.
For brunch today I stopped in the Cathedral Cafe before my 11:00 Italian class. Not being in the mood for anything too heavy, as I had just run about 2 miles, I opted for the veggie and hummus wrap and some iced tea. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the wrap, but didn't have time to eat the rest. 'No prob' says I, 'I'll just save the other half for another time. It would be a shame to waste this excellent wrap, possibly one of the best I've ever eaten.' Seriously, though, the blend of spices and roasted veggies was truly delectable, despite the fact that it made my breathe smell. Oh, just wait. That's not all that will be smelling before my tale is done...
Now. Clearly, the Styrofoam plate with a plastic cover was not made to be stored on its side. Clearly it was not air- or water-tight. Clearly I shouldn't have dumped it into my tote bag with all my papers and makeup!!! But that is exactly what I did.
Now, in my defense, it didn't bust open right away. No no, it waited until I was about half-way through my first Italian class ever (first college class ever, for that matter) to pop open and slide down the side of my bright yellow folder as I shuffled through my tote for a pencil. Disaster.
I tried to shove the rebellious hummus wrap back in its container and close it, but instead more hummus squelched out of the wrap and oozed to the bottom of my bag. Not good. When I finally pulled my hand out of my tote bag, instead of grasping the desired pencil it was instead covered in hummus. I had no choice but to lick my fingers clean, not being in possession of paper towels, napkins, tissues, not even hand sanitizer, and not wishing to interrupt the intro lecture with my dilemma. So, there I was, first day of class, sitting in the back of the classroom and licking hummus off my fingers. Talk about weird.
Luckily, class let out early, so I had time to survey the damage before my next class. I high-tailed it to the bathroom, knowing there would be paper towels/sinks and planning to do a thorough, bag-emptying cleaning. What I didn't count on was there being other people in the bathroom. Thus, I was faced with the rather awkward situation of wiping what vaguely resembled vomit off my makeup bag and pencils in the 2nd floor bathroom of the Cathedral of Learning while others use the sinks around me in a normal fashion. Again, weird.
Not wishing to prolong this awkward situation, I only cleaned off the things I absolutely needed for my next class and sort of divided my bag into contaminated and non-contaminated sections with my folder. A reasonable solution, I thought, until I realized that my bag, being rather thin, not only smelled of spicy hummus very strongly inside, but also radiated the scent. Where does this unfortunate circumstance end??? No time soon, I can tell ya that.
Seeing as I had no time to go back to my room to switch bags, I was instead force to carry my smelly bag to the rest of my classes until now, the first free moment I've had in my room today. And I'm not cleaning it out right now. I'm blogging. I guess that bag will have to smell a little bit longer, because I am not touching it. So there, hummus.

2 comments:

  1. still haven't cleaned it out ahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like the typical nightmare of any college student's first day of school. talk about unfortunate.
    <3,
    anna

    ReplyDelete