Sunday, August 24, 2008

Meeting People

I don't know about you, but it is my personal opinion that the first few days/weeks of any new experience are crucial for establishing connections with the right people. Now, of course some would say, "Just be yourself and you'll naturally gravitate toward the people who will be your best friends." I don't know if I buy that. See, I want to meet all kinds of different people, not just the ones I would usually hang with. This is college; I don't want it to be like high school! But now I have a new dilemma: which crowd to mix with?
I suppose it would be fitting at this time to define the crowds I'm debating. So. First of all there are those people that you immediately know are super sweet and trustworthy and would probably be great friends. We'll call them the Nice Kids. Then there're the people who are always looking for the next big party and usually know where the good ones are. We'll call them the Fun Kids. Granted, the lines between these groups are sometimes muddled and I don't mean to judge people or stereotype them, but for the sake of ease, here they are.
Now. Perhaps it's true that the Nice Kids would be the best friends to have around through all the twists and changes and troubles of college life... but do they know how to have fun? Usually not. What I mean by this is that they have their own brand of fun which I don't actually find very enjoyable. So do I stick with the Fun Kids? Not necessarily.
The Fun Kids may know how to have a rockin' good time, but in the long run they don't really care about me any more than I care about them. Despite all the awesome times we may have together, chances are that there will be no real person-to-person, heart-to-heart connection with any of them when the day is done. And that's important to me. So do I stick with the Nice Kids? Not necessarily.
See, this is really where the heart of the dilemma comes into play. Ultimately I want friends who can fit into both categories. But where to meet them? Do I hang with the Nice Kids in hopes that one of them loves to party? Or scope out all the parties for someone who might actually want to establish a real friendship? Either way the whole friend search is shaping up to be a wickedly long and possibly fruitless process.
But apparently writing things out is an excellent way to think things through, because as I sit here a solution comes to me. I don't have to worry about what kind of people I pursue, because ultimately God will place the people I need in my life no matter what I do. And if I feel comfortable with the party scene and actually rather drawn to it, there's a reason for that, too. He sends His servants to all sorts of places to shine his light. We were created for the mission that He set out for us to do, and if something strikes a chord in me or brings me happiness, I need to follow that, listening all the while to see where He wants me to go with it.
Wow. College is going to be a breeze. Thanks, God. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment