Saturday, June 4, 2011

Medugorje: So Busy!!

Ok, a lot has happened, so I'll just give you the low-down:
On Friday morning I woke up at 5am to climb Mount Krucevac at 6am in my bare feet with Father and my roommate. When we got to the top, we prayed a rosary, I sang Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Pie Jesu," put my sandals back on, and we climbed down again. Then we walked back to the village and went to 10am Mass. I sat in the choir section, as the director had invited me to do after my performances during Thursday's Mass. About halfway through Mass, she leaned back and asked if I could sing a Communion meditation, and I said of course I could. So I sang the "Pie Jesu" again! The congregation was completely capitivated, hanging on every note, and at the end there was a general stir of contentment and much wiping of eyes. Score! 10 points for the Holy Spirit!
Well, after all the climbing, walking, and singing, I was completely drained, so I went back to my room and slept for two hours. I felt much refreshed after my nap and a shower, so I headed out into the village for a bit of shopping. I ended up ducking into an internet cafe to escape some rain, though, and by the time my hour was up it was time to head back for dinner.
After dinner I climbed Apparition Hill by myself, arriving around 7pm. I found a little perch on the steep rock face where I could see everything that was going on below and settled down, for the apparition there wasn't until 10pm. It was a lovely time for watching the sun set over the village, praying rosaries, and writing in my journal, and before I knew it, Our Lady was there, appearing to Ivan. She stayed for about 20 minutes and then it was done. I climbed down the now-dark mountain with my little flashlight, walked back to my hotel, and went straight to bed.

This morning after breakfast I packed my bag and headed to 10am Mass, my last in Medjugorje! I went over to sit with the choir again, and told the director that it was my last day, but she said that she couldn't squeeze me into the program because there was some youth group coming in and taking over the music. So no singing in Mass today.
Afterward, though, I continued to receive compliments from Friday's "Pie Jesu," and I got to talking to a couple of Canadian pilgrims, who invited me to coffee, where we met a friend of theirs from Scotland. They were really lovely people, asking me all kinds of questions, and we laughed a lot together, which I love. At noon we prayed the Angelus, I gave them my info, and then I headed over to the Risen Christ for one last visit.
Upon my return to the hotel, I picked up my bags and climbed on the bus for our trip to the airport. Checking luggage and going through security and waiting at the gate took foreeeeveerrrrrrr and ironically enough the plane ride was only half an hour long. Then we got on another bus and another and finally arrived here, at our hotel. We had a bit of difficulty getting in, because the streets are all blocked off for the pope or something so our van couldn't pull straight up and we had to cause a scene on the sidewalks of Zagreb, click-clacking our rolling luggage up and down the sidewalks and speaking a language that was quite obviously not Croatian. Our hotel is super nice, and the dinner they fed us was sublime, including several glasses of wine and some whiskey for me, which was also of exceptionally high caliber.
So, that is all. I may or may not be blogging again before my return home; it all depends on how the schedule works out tomorrow and if there is internet available in the airports on Monday. Now: beauty sleep!! Or not...

No comments:

Post a Comment