Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Where Is Home?

Some people have issues with calling their dorm rooms "home." They hold on to their concept of home as their parents' house. They feel homesick and hate living in a dorm. I thought I was going to be one of these people.
Imagine my surprise, then, when after 2 days away from my dorm room, sleeping in my own bed in my parents' house I found myself missing my dorm room. I love it here. I love the way it smells faintly of paint and my blankets and my air freshener. I love the blue paper in the windows and the way the lamp lights the corner when it's dark outside. Never mind that there is no air conditioning or that it's smaller than my other room. To me, this is home. Just walking in the door makes me smile. Perhaps what I love most about it is that it's mine and only mine: schedule, calender, grocery list, radio station, pillows, books, plants.
As my dad drove me back to campus last night, I was so happy to see the lit top of the Cathedral again and to know that I was back where I belonged. I was going home.
Don't get me wrong; I love my family and would hate to be cut off from them. I'm so grateful for all the years of formation that have made me ready to take this step and have allowed me to be so comfortable in my new situation. Love you, Mom and Dad! :)
In fact, I still refer to Mom and Dad's house as "home." I just have another home now, too. A home to which I am so so happy to return.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jane,

    I enjoyed catching up on your blogs today. Very interesting! Glad you like your room. Did you turn that rug around yet? Love from your original home,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete