Tuesday, September 30, 2008

In Sickness...

I should have known that this would happen. I'm at college and I'm sick. I guess that since I rarely, if ever, got sick at home, I just assumed that I would not get sick at college, either. Wrong. I am experiencing my first college sickness. Bleh.
I'm actually not really really sick. I just have a little sore throat. This does explain my extreme sleepiness yesterday, though.
Seriously, I should have seen this coming. I haven't had a single allergy shot since coming to college... and it's allergy season... and cold season... and almost everyone I know is sick or has been sick in the past week. Not good.
I really hope that this doesn't last long, because I hate not being able to keep up with my life. I just popped 2 vitamin C supplements and drank a whole bunch of water, so hopefully that will help. It probably didn't help that I just walked to Bible study in pouring rain and then home again in some pretty chilly temperatures.
Ok, story time. I really wanted something warm for my throat, so I thought, "hmm. i'll warm up some cheerios and milk for myself before bed." (don't judge! I didn't have any tea, and warm cheerios and milk is a major comfort food for me since my mom used to make it for me when I was little. I know it's kind of weird, but just bear with me, ok?) So. I pour the cheerios, drizzle them with honey (it's good for your throat! also very tasty) and then douse the whole mess with milk and pop it in the microwave. 30 seconds later as I pull the bowl out of the microwave I notice that the milk doesn't look like milk anymore: it looks like gross dirty water and gross dirty cheese mixed together. How revolting!!! I sniff the milk in the carton, and sure enough, it's sour. :'( So no warm cheerios and milk for me. I just ate a spoonful of honey instead, which was somehow not as satisfying. At least I discovered that the milk was sour before I ate/drank it! How much would it have sucked if I poured myself a huge glass of the stuff and then took a gulp before realizing the nastiness of it? Ewww I don't even want to think about that. Anyway, I had to carefully pour the rotten whey down my sink, being careful not to let any cheerios out of the bowl in the process, and then ziplock bag the cheerios/sour milk curds so I could throw them away without stinking up my garbage. Overall not the most pleasant experience.
Now I have to finish my Italian workbook pages, as the exam is tomorrow and all I want to do is sleep right now!!! Boo on sickness.
ps. sorry this whole post is just me complaining about how sick i am... that happens sometimes i guess. I'll try to be more interesting in the future. :)

2 comments:

  1. Poor Janie. This is my second time being sick in college. I guess I just get sick a lot. (Well, I did in high school, too, so I was expecting it unlike you). I was sick during the first week, and now I think I have food poisoning. blech. So I'm skipping a class today (ooo bad me), but I can't skip all of my classes because I have an exam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, being sick at college is not fun, because not only does life not stop, it doesn't even slow down.

    I was completely on top of my English composition class in the spring until I traveled with the band from 18-23 March and got sick from 26 March-2 April. Those two weeks were key weeks, and I was horribly behind for the rest of the term. But I pulled through with a very graceful extension on my final portfolio and got an A-.

    Get well soon, though, because my bout also coincided with some of HCC's spring concerts, and it was not fun being sick for those, especially as a first tenor.

    ReplyDelete