Friday, September 5, 2008

Work Study <3

I am told every time I go to work that I have snagged "the best work-study position at the University of Pittsburgh," and I couldn't agree more. You see, I am an assistant seamstress in the Theatre Department's costume shop. There are many reasons that this job RULES!!!
First of all, I'm only working 6 hours a week, which fits in very nicely with my schedule. Also, since I'm only a first year student, I will have many opportunities for a raise from the $7.65/h that I'm making now. I've landed this position for 4 years if I so choose, and my pay is only going to go up! Yippee!
Secondly, I don't really have to do any work, unless you consider sewing to be work, which I don't. So far at my job I have done the following: cut and ironed 7x7 squares of muslin for practice squares for the sewing 1 classes, sorted a huge pile of fabric, played with all the different stitch settings on "my" sewing machine (more on this later), and learned 3 kinds of hand stitches. Basically it's like being paid to take a sewing 1 class. Ha! But my boss did tell me what my first project was going to be: corsets! Corsets for the 17th and 18th century acting class! How cool is this?!?!
In addition to all this wonderousness, I, being in a work-study position, am technically above all the sewing/costume production students who work in the shop for lab hours for their classes! My boss has even suggested that I, a lowly freshman, may be giving them jobs to do and "keeping them busy," as she puts it. I'm not even taking any classes in the theatre department right now! Yet I have power over all these theatre/artsy majors! Does this get any better? Why, yes, actually, it does...
On Wednesday, when it came time for me to be assigned to a sewing machine, the head of the costume shop led me over to the newest, best machine in the shop and said to familiarize myself with the way this machine works, because it was going to be my machine every time I was working in the shop. It is quite fancy and at first I was intimidated, but after I sewed a few lines of stitching, I realized that it was quite top-of-the-line. It's fantastic, really. And since I'm going to be in the shop for 4 years, probably, I'll definitely be really familiar with the machine after a while, and very comfortable with it's quirks and settings.
On top of all this my boss (the head of the costume shop) is the sweetest, most easygoing lady. She is so friendly and helpful. She treats me as though I personally am of importance to the success of the shop, and she has been very patient with the whole training process.
Also, she apparently has quite an "in" with the theatre crowd, and said she would be happy to help me get into a show or some kind of production at Pitt. This is really awesome, because it has been my wish to keep up with a little bit of theatre during my time here, but at the theatre presentation at the beginning of the year it seemed that the directors may prefer to cast theatre majors, though the auditions are open to everyone. But now, I have found myself a way to get involved without having to switch my major or even "put my time in" so to speak.
I am so, so blessed to have found this position. I can't wait to go to work this afternoon! :)
How many people can say that about their work-study positions? ... Not a lot, I think. So thank you, my dear Lord, for bringing this opportunity into my life; I am sure that many good fruits will come of it.

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to get a job :'( No one wants to hire me. It sucks likewhoa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It does sound like the best job ever. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete